Monday, October 4, 2010

Mary Dunn Carpenter Funeral

Tami and her family and Dave & I attended Aunt Mary's funeral on Sunday (9/26/10). Also, Larry & Ernest Isberg came. The service was very upbeat, celebrating the life of this lady who experienced so much of life.  She was an avid reader of current topics(fascinated by the idea of a wind farm), religiously followed the Detroit Tigers (no matter how bad they were) and a farm girl who was a great cook. BTW- the service took place in the church next to the house we lived in with Grandma and Grandpa on Maple Street.
 
I met tons of relatives. Unfortunately, I never knew much of the Dunn side of the family while growing up, but now I find half of the city were related to us.  I met an LDS cousin-the daughter of Joan Carpenter (Diane Doyle Neal who lives in Boise) and now have her email address and will feed her all the Dunn information I have that might need a direct relative to get the work done.
 
Please note the horse drawn hearse that was used with the amazing black horses. It was a once in a lifetime event.  Wish you all could have been here. Dave took some pictures with his cell phone and we will be sending them on to you.
 
Lots of family history in this program so I scanned both sides.  Joan wrote a tribute to Mary that I will scan and send in another mailing. Enjoy!
 
Pam









Someone mentioned that it was a family tradition in the Dunns that no one was allowed to date until they graduated from high school. That tells us something about Elva's life. As I read about mary's early life, I try to put Elva in that picture so I can better know her.
 
Joan's daughter (LDS) told me that Mary gave her a pile of family history items - hmmm I wonder why.
 
BTW Mark & Val - Joan Carpenter used to babysit for us.  I distinctly remember when I was about 9 because I thought Joan the was perfect teenage girl (blonde, slim, popular) and I wanted to be just like her - funny.
 
Enjoy this treasure.
 
Pam















1 comment:

  1. I might add that the pall bearers were her grandsons and grandson-in-laws. After the service they carried the casket to the hearse then all donned Detroit Tiger caps and followed her hearse on foot to the cemetery. The above picture shows them at the cemetery wearing the caps. I have no doubt that Mary enjoyed that touch.

    Larry Isberg

    ReplyDelete