Monday, October 4, 2010

Conversation about Violet Atwood Armstrong

from Nikki Wadsworth Garrick
I heard the story once from a ward member who knew Grandma Vi.   (Marion Ramirez)   Anyhow, she told me once that Grandma Vi had a teasing relationship with the missionaries.   I believe she said once the elders swiped a pie from her house that she'd made. When she found out they'd done it, she made them another pie- a chocolate pie... made with ExLax!

from Sunny Wadsworth Tangren

Oh I know I've heard alot of stories about Grandma Vi and practical jokes. I seem to remember one that had to do with a glass that had a hole in it so that it would dribble down the shirt of the one who was drinking and one about one of the missionaries dressing up in grandma's pjs and the other missionary hopping into bed and then hopping out of bed screaming and falling to his knees.   then there was one abouat a couch and electric wire woven in the fabric.   Am I mixing my stories here?


from David Wadsworth
The stories about the drinking glass and the wire in the couch sound exactly like the ones I've related about an elderly sister that I knew in 
California while on my mission.

from Pam Streeter Wadsworth
I think the story you heard was when Grandma was a young woman. Traveling missionaries (zone leaders) would stay with members when in their area. There was a standing invitation at my Great Grandma Pearl Atwoods home, so when these Elders came in late one night, they just went to the bedroom where they always slept -this happened to be Byrdie's bedroom. One of the Elders was a clown and loved to give his companion, a "straight arrow", a hard time. The "clown" got to the bedroom 1st & found a nightgown of Byrdie's & put it on & climbed into bed with the lights out. The "straight arrow" came into the room, left the lights out, got undressed & climbed into bed. The moment he felt the satin nightgown, he was sure it was Byrdie & jumped out of bed, hitting the floor on his knees, praying for forgiveness.
I don't remember the story about the ExLax, but it sounds like something she would do.   She told me when she was working in a factory as a young woman, she had some tedious job of stacking a washer, bolt & nut together & placing them in rows on a tray. To keep from going crazy, she would make a game of seeing how fast she could fill the tray. She would just begin the last row when some guy would come up, take her tray & put an empty one down to start all over. She said he did that to her about 3 times when she had had enough. She threatened him if he touched her tray one more time before it was full, he would have a "bloody stub instead of a hand". He didn't do that again. She was a tough lady.   When Mark & I went to the hospital to have our tonsils removed, you had to stay 3 days. Grandma stayed with us the entire time, sleeping on a chair between us. The nurses argued because you were not allowed to stay nights with kids, but she prevailed. I was 7 & it embarrassed me, but I was sure glad she stayed with us in that scarey place. She would do anything for her family.

from Gillian Streeter
Dad told about having his tonsils out. We feel we have a connection because he bit the doctor's fingers and I bit my dentist's fingers as a child (and I still think he mostly had it coming). Ah, memories...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment